Thursday, October 6, 2016

A Newfound Respect for White Folk's Attitudes about Black Folk's Attitudes and Vice Versa


Your opinion of me

means absolutely nothing.

 I am difficult.

 I do have a big mouth.

I say it as I see it, extremely opinionated.

 If that intimidates or bothers

you I really don’t care.

I know who I am.

I have been through some shit

and I am still going through shit

Shit you know nothing about.

I am strong, confident, & independent!!

Black's & White's Attitudes


I live in the heart of a ghetto in Macon, Georgia.   Living in the ghetto is nothing new to me.  In fact I would not have it any other way.  These are my people, my upbringing, and my experiences in my sixty-five years of living.  I feel embraced, not safe, but embraced here.  

I was raised by a mother I saw as strong, confident, and independent.   She was a single parent raising four and at times six children.  We lived in mixed income (not low income) neighborhoods.   Mixed income neighborhoods you never hear about in the description of black neighborhoods, but that’s another story for another time.  My mother was a unique single parent, to me.  I had never known her not to work , even when her physical condition would have incapacitated a lesser woman.  You see, she was hit by a car when I was four years old crossing the street of a busy street (Vineville Ave) going to work.  And that accident darn near crippled her for the remainder of her life,  but  it did not cripple her desire for the better things in life.  There begins my journey developing a mindset of confidence and independence.   My  family,  growing up probably lived in every mixed neighborhood (mixed as in income not race) in Macon, GA.   Each move for us was a step up from where we lived previously.  Until my mother was finally able to be one of many blacks to move into a predominately white neighborhood.  Were we welcomed with open arms, absolutely not, the attitudes of our neighbors on both sides were so apparent and also verbalized to our faces.  I to this day admire my mother’s stamina, attitude, and strength.  It shaped me into who I am and what I hold near and dear, in friends, attitudes, people, family, neighbors……………….

She taught me not to think I was better than people but to strive for better and not to allow people or things define me.  So no matter where I live or resides (employment/public contact), I come in with the attitude to add to my environment in a positive way and to exceed the expectation with the thought in mind this is who I am.   Primarily based on how I was raised. She taught me no matter what side of the tracks and/or city you are from it’s what you bring to the table, not where you live.  Bottom line, improving on your situation, rather than bring it down. 

My experience has been that some of my people bring nothing to table and are angry with you when it is not acceptable,and form attitudes.  Mediocre is not acceptable from any race of people. 
My experience has been that some white folks receive more so they expect more from people and life.  On the contrary some black folks receive less so they expect less from people and life.  Thereby different experience, but understandably different attitudes.

No comments: