Monday, June 5, 2017

Two Truths Told from Different Perspective and the Rosa Parks Square Beer Festival Debate Goes On

Keep talking

Rosa Parks Square
There was a standing room only crowd at Government Center (former City Hall) Wednesday night. Opinions about a proposal to ban alcohol consumption in Rosa Parks Square were voiced. An intense level of emotion was palpable. And Macon’s No. 1 problem was evident.

Glancing around at those concerned faces, old and young, I was transported back to the ‘50s. I asked myself, “is that balding old black guy the fellow who removed his hat, stepped off the sidewalk into Cherry Street and bowed his head as my mom and I walked from Thorpe’s to Davison’s department store? And that wrinkled black lady behind him — did I see her get on the Bellvue bus, holding her head high, walk past the stern-faced whites and take a seat in the rear?”

Some of the African-Americans rose to address the crowd, passionately arguing that alcohol consumption near Rosa’s memorial dishonored that lady and her courageous deed. They spoke with emotion that bore witness to a lifetime of living with disrespect and disdain. Had I lived my life in their shoes I’d have felt the same.

My head rotated and I studied the faces of the mostly younger and definitely more prosperous looking whites. Almost unanimously, they spoke to the assembly about protecting their downtown investments and promoting that area’s revitalization. They opposed the alcohol ban, arguing that their business enterprises, which sell alcoholic beverages, will help bring blacks and whites together. I felt no disagreement with that view. Time will tell whether or not it’s accurate.

Our common problem — a racial/socio-economic-status divide — was on full display. Yet as I walked home I felt a bit optimistic. We sat together, listened to and exchanged views with one another. Blacks aired a genuine, deeply felt and valid grievance. And whites listened and responded with equally genuine sensitivity. By talking about this issue, we took a small, important step forward. Let’s keep talking.

Mike Ryan,

Macon


Read more here: http://www.macon.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article153840479.html#storylink=cpy

I am Through Talking

An eloquently written letter about Just Tap'd Craft Beer Festival in Rosa Parks Square’s debate at City Hall in The Telegraph's opinion column.  The writer seem to genuinely believe there is a solution to Macon’s racial divide.  However, I don’t share his optimism, “ continuing talks”, will resolve the racial divide or his assessment and/or description of the people in the room. Which by the end of this blog some will understand others will not.

Prominent Black Activist/Former Mayor - C. Jack Ellis
Going back to the 50’s and remembering my personal experiences and the disdain and disrespect blacks tolerated on a daily bases has not changed.  One of my most memorable experiences of living in Macon during the fifties and perusing the crowd of white people left me wondering also, wondering whether one of those old wrinkle white men in the crowd who spoke was in the car full of white boys or the boy’s son that spit on my mother as we walked across the street on Broadway.  She was crossing the street going to work for a mere pittance to support four children.  Doing the work of three and getting paid for one.  Looking at the whites in the crowd I reminisced, was the old white lady sitting there, the person who disrespected my mother by refusing to serve her (once again devaluing a human being because of the color of their skin) at the local McDonald's. 

That was then, today (now) I’m more prosperous than some of the whites living in my community and I experience discrimination on a daily bases.  Wanting as the business owners of Macon, revitalization of my neighborhood and being dismissed by City County government and some whites who live and work in the community.  The difference is I respect their right to make decisions about their property (rent or own) as long as it doesn’t spill over on my property.  Who rightfully can claim ownership to Rosa Parks Square is questionable (we all pay taxes), but the investment is not in the revitalization, but the legacy and what that legacy represent for visitors of Rosa Parks Square and the woman behind the legacy.  To me the legacy exemplifies a struggle to be valued, respected, and listen to, then and now. I'm


Let me fully disclose, I didn’t attend the gathering. I watched the video feed from the local newspaper website.  I have been to City Hall to have what I thought was hands down an issue that required no extraordinary strain (that involved a white person) on the brain to resolve.  Absolutely nothing was done, until I requested an “open records report”.  I know the game people there play when a black person ask for assistance.  They immediately assume as did this writer (and I think I understand why) another emotional black person who has nothing financial or intellectually to bring to the table and assumed most definitely that whites are more socially economically endowed and more intelligent and have everything to bring to the table.


Just Tap'd Craft Beer Festival
He fell for the okey-doke, by assuming, they are young and prosperous and were protecting their investment and promoting downtown revitalization.  I call, hogwash, this is no more than a skillfully orchestrated ploy to continue the disrespect and disdain he so appear to understand.  Mike, I can appreciate your optimism, but unless you experience (walk a mile in my shoes) then and now the disdain and disrespect you don’t understand and I want play on your intelligence by saying I understand white people train of thought.  What’s rooted in the black community is an old adage that says “action speaks louder than words”.  Personally, I’m through talking to people who my words fall on deaf ears.   Everything happening in American today says no matter how much money you have, some whites will see you as less than and not worthy of “listening to” (it hasn’t changed) and those are the people who I saw in the crowd at the Government Center.  I no longer value myself on how others define me (not worthy or respected) and easily bamboozled.  I am through talking, let me repeat, finish, no more, through talking.  And if I might add anyone who thinks this is a conversation that needs to be continued is living in the past, ‘50’s to be more exact.

Mike, I admire and applaud your optimism, however, we’re looking through different rose color glasses and have different experiences and perspectives, then and now, a common problem on full display.ing silientdlcomes ofgns of eservedwhat activities will take place.do with Blacks

No comments: